Thursday, April 3, 2025
49.4 F
Edt

Former MLB All Star Reflects on Possible Retirement

Anthony Rizzo is a veteran first baseman who has been a free-agent since his time with the New York Yankees. His future in Major League Baseball looks uncertain. He is eager to pursue his career but acknowledges that if no teams make him a compelling offer, it may be time for him to retire. This highlights the changing landscape of Major League Baseball.

“I have definitely considered (his end). Rizzo: “I think that I still have much to offer the game.” told The AthleticThe athlete expressed his desire to continue in sport.

Rizzo is 35 and understands the difficulties faced by veterans. In the meantime, if the teams don’t want to spend a couple million dollars on veterans, then I know what happens. The older guys are the ones who suffer. The older guys are squeezed. More and more, you’ve witnessed it. It’s not something I am naive about. “It could be.” This statement shows the reality of baseball today and how the market is shrinking for older players.

Here’s some more information: World Series winning pitcher says that the Yankees’ facial hair policy prevented them from signing players.

Anthony Rizzo

Elsa/Getty Images

Anthony Rizzo has had a long and successful career. He spent a decade in Chicago with the Cubs where he was a four-time Gold Glove Winner, a World Series Champion, a 3-time All-Star. In the years following his successful tenure with Chicago, Rizzo spent more than three seasons in New York, where he made a significant contribution, particularly in 2022. In 2023, however, his performance was negatively affected by a concussion, and subsequent injuries. This led to him losing power and his overall offensive output.

Rizzo explained, “I had an odd year two years ago with the concussion.” Then, last year I got hurt twice. The power number dropped.

Rizzo was surprised by the lack of interest, but understands it may have something to do with his age. He wants a fair contract and hopes that no teams expect him to work for league minimum salaries as it could affect the future market of the players. Rizzo stated, “I am surprised but not in a crazy way because I know the reality of baseball and that you are getting older.” The fact that you’re being asked to play at the league minimum is crazy. “You’re trying to destroy the market for next guys.”

The Yankees’ first baseman, who played in 92 games the year before, had a slash of.228/.301/.335 with eight homers and 35 RBIs. His time as a Chicago Cubs first baseman was characterized by his impressive offensive skills. He had a slash of.272/.372/.489 across 1,308 matches, and consistently hit more than 25 home runs each season.

Rizzo balances his desire for continued play against personal considerations. This includes his wife Emily’s June 15 due date. He is more likely to choose a team that will be able to keep him than one who may trade him in the middle of the season. He is eager to play. He is a winner. The game is his passion.

Rizzo declared, “I am going to continue training until season begins and maybe even into it. I’m just curious what will happen.” There’s a lot to learn. All that’s involved, both on and off the pitch, will still be discussed with the guys. “We’ll see if you continue to play.”

Here’s some more information: Dodgers pitcher hit in head by line drive at 105.5 MPH in a scary Cactus League Moment

Topics

Related Articles

Hot Today

Popular Categories

Headlines