Following the revelation that an Israeli mother Shiri Bibias’s body was not released as had been promised during a recent prisoner-hostage exchange, Hamas has condemned them strongly. This incident has further complicated the fragile situation that surrounds the ceasefire.
Adam Boehler described the incident as “horrible” and “clearly violating” the terms agreed upon. Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel has expressed shock and anger, vowing a stern response. The prospects for lasting peace are further harmed.
Bibas Family: A Broken Promise and the Hostage Crisis
Hamas gave four corpses to Israel during this exchange. Hamas said they were Shiri Bibibas (33), her two sons Ariel and Kfir as well Oded Lifshitz (83) who was kidnapped in the October 20, 2023 attacks. In Israel, the Bibas family and, in particular, the fate of Kfir (9 months), the youngest hostage who held the most hostage was a symbol for the hostage situation. Kfir and his mother Shiri were captured by the Israeli nation along with Ariel, their brother. Yarden Bibas’ wife, Shiri, was arrested separately, but he was later released.
Hamas was responsible for the initial attack on October 7, which resulted approximately in 1,200 casualties, and around 251 captives were taken. This misidentification has put the ceasefire agreement that was supposed to stop more than 15 month of conflict in danger.

Yifat Zailer / Facebook
Detail Emerges: Misidentification & Escalating Tensions
Netanyahu condemned the incident, calling it a “cruel violation of the ceasefire”. Israeli authorities confirm that it was not Shiri Bibi’s body. The remains of a Palestinian woman, who has not been identified, were instead identified.
Hamas has blamed the mistaken identification on the chaos in Gaza caused by the ongoing Israeli airstrikes. As a result, the group said that many bodies were buried in a mass grave as a direct result of heavy bombing. They promised a full investigation of the incident.
Israeli officials confirm that the bodies of Oded Lifshitz’s son Oded and Kfir Bibas, as well as their two children Kfir, Ariel and Kfir, have been positively identified.
A series of blasts overnight in Israel’s central region targeted buses parked there, but no casualties were reported. The Israeli army has increased its troop deployment in the West Bank despite the fact that no one has claimed responsibility. This could signal a possible escalation.

Ohad Zwigenberg/AP Photo
Reactions & Statements
* **Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu:** “We will work with determination to bring Shiri home together with all our hostages—both living and dead—and ensure that Hamas pays the full price for this cruel and malicious violation of the agreement.”
* **Hamas, in a statement:** “We have no interest in retaining any bodies. In recent days, we have shown full compliance with all the terms of the agreement.
* **U.S. Envoy for Hostages Adam Boehler, speaking to CNN:** “If I were [Hamas]”I would release everyone or else they will face total destruction.”

Abdel Kareem Hana/AP Photo
What is the future of Ceasefire negotiations and hostage negotiation?
Hamas stated, that despite controversy surrounding body identification, the release of six Israeli hosts will go ahead as planned, and in exchange for Palestinian prisoner held in Israeli jails.
Hamas is also committing to delivering four additional bodies the following week. The future of the ceasefire remains unclear.
Hamas still holds 60 hostages; about half of whom are alive, even after the release planned. The group insists that it will not release any remaining captives without a permanent ceasefire and the complete withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza – demands that Prime Minister Netanyahu has consistently rejected. The ongoing dispute casts doubt on the possibility of a lasting peace, and the safe release of the remaining hostages including the Bibas family.